Our heritageSouthern Health has a proud history of providing health care to the people of Victoria spanning more than 159 years.
Our history can be traced back through:
- Melbourne Benevolent Asylum established in 1850 to care for the ill and destitute of Melbourne. In 1911 the facility opened on the current site in Cheltenham. It was renamed the Kingston Centre in 1970 and the focus of its service dramatically changed. It is now a leading centre for aged care and rehabilitation.
- Homeopathic Hospital which operated from c.1869 to c.1934 and was the precursor of the Prince Henry’s Hospital which operated from 1934 to 1992
- McCulloch House which opened in 1888 and joined with the Queen Victoria Medical Centre in 1977
- Queen Victoria Memorial Hospital, the first Australian hospital "For women, by women". The hospital opened in 1896 and was founded by the first female medical graduates in Australia. It operated from 1896-1987 when it joined Prince Henry's Hospital and Moorabbin Hospital to from Monash Medical Centre
- Dandenong Hospital which opened in 1942 and integrated into the Southern Health Care Network (predecessor to Southern Health) in 1995
- Moorabbin Hospital which opened in 1977 as a community hospital
- Several community health services including those serving Cranbourne, Berwick, Dandenong, Springvale, Parkdale, Cockatoo, Bunyip
Other hospitals which formed part of Southern Health include:
- Hampton Rehabilitation Hospital
- Heatherton Hospital
- Mordialloc and Cheltenham Community Hospital which opened in 1953.
In 2004 the Casey Hospital opened as Victoria's newest hospital to serve one of the State's fastest growing communities.
Southern Health is the custodian of a large historical collection relating to these organisations.