Accessing information about me
What information is available
The Victorian Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 1982 allows you to request access to an individual’s health information held by Monash Health. It is possible to obtain copies of this information or to view original documents.
Monash Health holds records for the following organizations:
- Monash Health - Monash Medical Centre Clayton
- Monash Health - Monash Children's Hospital
- Monash Health - Moorabbin Hospital
- Monash Health - Dandenong Hospital
- Monash Health - Casey Hospital
- Monash Health - Kingston Centre
- Prince Henry’s Hospital
- Mordialloc & Cheltenham Community
- Hampton Rehabilitation Hospital
- Heatherton Hospital
- Queen Victoria Hospital
How to apply
Applications must be made in writing and include sufficient detail to identify the correct medical record. The application form can be downloaded from www.monashhealth.org or you can write a letter.
Freedom of Information Officer
Health Information Services - FOI Service
Monash Medical Centre Clayton
Locked Bag 29
Clayton South VIC 3169
- Photo identification MUST be sent with all applications to access medical records, eg. a photocopy of a driver’s license or passport.
- Where the applicant is applying for a medical record other than their own, the application must include a written authorization from the patient for the release of their information.
- If the patient is deceased, the next of kin must sign the authorization and provide evidence that they are the next of kin.
- If the patient is a child, and a Family Court Order is in place, a copy of the order should be provided.
Fees & charges
The FOI Act sets out the following fees and charges for providing access to records.
- Application Fee $27.90 effective from the 1 July 2016 (Non-refundable and must accompany the written request)
You will be advised of any additional fees when your request has been approved. These fees must be paid before the information is released. If you do not wish to proceed, you must notify us for the invoice to be withdrawn.
Additional fees that may apply:
- CD $25.00
- Photocopying 20 cents per page copied
- Search Fee $20.00 per hour or part thereof
- Viewing record (if applicable) $5.00 per quarter hour (under supervision)
- Radiology images (on CD) $10.00
- Postage $11.50
If you are the holder of a current Health Care/pension card, the application fee will be waved.
In this circumstance, please send a copy of the entitlement card for the reduced fee.
All cheques should be made payable to Monash Health.
Please allow approximately two weeks for processing of documents after the full fee is paid.
What happens next
In accordance with the FOI Act, we have 45 days to make a decision in writing about your request. The 45 day period starts when we have received your written application and application fee (or your photocopied Pension or Health Care card).
Your review rights
Please note, a patient’s medical record is the property of Monash Health and is therefore subject to the Freedom of Information Legislation. There are several sections of the FOI Act under which a person’s privacy must be protected. As a result, we may be obliged to exempt certain sections of a medical record from release.
Two of the most relevant sections of the Act are:-
- Section 35 (1)(b) Which in short, states that we are obliged to keep information given in confidence to this hospital by third parties (i.e. relatives, friends, outside clinicians, etc) CONFIDENTIAL, unless such parties are willing to agree to disclosure.
- Section 33 (1) Which in short, requires us to respect the confidentiality of information relating to a patient or other’s PERSONAL AFFAIRS, (even after death) unless the patient or their next of kin, are willing to allow disclosure.
There are several other exemption provisions under which information may not be released.
You will be advised in writing if any such provisions are relevant to your application and of your right to appeal such decisions.
If Monash Health has made a decision to exempt part(s) of the record, applicants have the right to have this decision reviewed through the following processes.
- Review by the Freedom of Information Commissioner
Need more information
To access the FOI application form, click here Call the Freedom of Information unit on 9594 2123.