If you or your family finds it hard to communicate in English or use AUSLAN you can request an interpreter. Interpreter services are free of charge.
You can also request an interpreter when:
- You or your family do not understand what staff are saying
- You or your family do not understand what they are required to sign
- You or your family would find it easier to speak in your own language
If you or a family member need an interpreter please ask your nurse or doctor, or when you book an appointment.
- Monash Health interpreters are professional and are required by law to interpret everything and must not disclose any information about you to someone else.
- Family and friends should not be used as interpreters.
- It is against Monash Health policy and not appropriate for anyone under 18 years old to act as an interpreter.
- If you cannot make your appointment you will need to let us know, especially when an interpreter has been booked.
Monash Health interpreters are accredited by NAATI Level 3 (National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters).
Monash Health also provides translated patient information including: