Casey Hospital Expansion Project
Pictured above: Artist's impression of the Casey Hospital Expansion Project.
Casey Hospital is poised to deliver even more services to one of the fastest growing areas in Melbourne’s south-east.
Funded by the Victorian Government, construction is expected to start in 2017. Detailed design has commenced with the Department of Health and Human Services, Plenary Group and Monash Health. Construction is expected to be completed in 2019.
The 273-bed Casey Hospital is a 12-year old community hospital providing bed-based services, ambulatory health care and support services to the local communities of Casey and Cardinia. Currently, it has 96 medical/surgical beds, four fully-utilised operating theatres and limited emergency services.
The expansion is needed to ensure that Casey Hospital has the capacity and services needed to provide the residents of Casey and Cardinia with quality care at their local facility, given the unprecedented growth in this area and the need for increased specialised services.
The expansion will increase the size of Casey Hospital and enable it to treat more patients, perform more surgeries, support more births, reduce the number of patients needing to be transferred and allow more patients to access the health services they need closer to home.
It will also significantly increase the scope of services supporting the local community. The project will support expansion of existing and new services through the delivery of:
- 160 new beds, which consist of:
• 128 multiday inpatient beds (plus eight existing beds to be re-allocated)
• An intensive care unit with 12 bed capacity
• A day surgery unit with 12 beds with additional patient capacity
- Six new operating theatres
- A new central sterilising supply department (CSSD)
- Refurbishment and expansion works to pharmacy, pathology, back of house and support facilities as necessary to support and facilitate the expansion
- Upgraded kitchen
- Teaching and training facilities to be delivered in partnership with Monash University for use by medical, nursing and allied health students, and
- 333 additional car parking (a combination of public and staff parking spaces).
The project is also working with Monash University to plan for additional education and training spaces for medical, nursing and allied health students.
Project update - April 2018
- Construction works on the redevelopment of Casey Hospital are now in full swing, with some major milestones set to be completed throughout the year.
- Key construction milestones set to be completed in mid-2018 include the hospital’s new front entrance, the Casey Terrace Café and the Monash University Education Hub.
- During the construction period, there will be changes to public and visitor access, however clinical services will continue to operate as per normal.
- In consultation with members from the Casey Hospital consumer panel, functionality and design features including way-finding and colour schemes, are being workshopped and confirmed.
Read more about the project's latest news in Issue 2 of the Casey Hospital Expansion Project Update – April 2018.