Rights and responsibilities
Our health care services are provided in partnership with staff and consumers working together to achieve optimal care.
As a consumer of health care services, you need to know what to expect from Monash Health, our services and staff. It is also important for you to understand what your responsibilities are when receiving these services.
You have a right to:
- A high standard of health care
- Services which respect your culture and communication needs
- Receive only treatment for which you have provided consent
- Clear information about your condition and its management
- Dignity and respect in your care
- Privacy and confidentiality
- A safe environment
- A second opinion, if requested
- The support of a person of your choice in discussions about your care
- Be informed of any cost payable for health care services or supplies
You have a responsibility to:
- Cooperate with your treating team.
- Provide, to the best of your ability, information to assist with your treatment such as your medical history, allergies or any other relevant issues
- Tell us when you have questions or concerns about your care
- Support us in providing an environment that is safe, clean and pleasant
- Show respect for the people taking care of you and other users of our services
- Pay accounts in an appropriate time and provide access to your Medicare card when required
The Rights and Responsibilities brochure outlines your rights and responsibilities as a consumer of health care services at Monash Health.
The Department of Health and Human Services (Victoria) has also produced an Auslan video for our hearing impaired community on their Rights and Responsibilities
Auslan video link
We offer the following Rights and Responsibilities brochures: